/PCOS Awareness Month 2023: Know How To Manage PCOS Related Weight Gain
Managing PCOS-related weight gain involves a combination of lifestyle changes, dietary adjustments, and medical interventions.
Ankur Shukla| 2023-09-15 18:20:35
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder that can lead to weight gain and make it challenging to lose weight. Managing PCOS-related weight gain involves a combination of lifestyle changes, dietary adjustments, and medical interventions. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your routine.
Strategies To Manage PCOS Related Weight Gain:
Dr Neema Sharma, who is the Director & Unit HOD- Obstetrics & Gynaecology at Fortis Hospital, Vasant Kunj shared some strategies to help manage PCOS-related weight gain.
- Balanced diet: Focus on a balanced diet that includes whole foods, lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Consider these dietary guidelines:
- Reduce refined carbohydrates: Limit your intake of sugary foods, white bread, and other refined carbohydrates. Choose whole grains, such as brown rice and whole wheat bread, instead.
- Control portion sizes: Be mindful of portion sizes to avoid overeating.
- Monitor calorie intake: Keep track of your daily calorie intake to ensure you’re in a calorie deficit if weight loss is your goal.
- Include fiber-rich foods: Fiber helps with satiety and can help control blood sugar levels. Incorporate vegetables, fruits, and legumes into your meals.
- Balanced meals: Aim for balanced meals that include protein, fiber, and healthy fats to keep you full and stabilize blood sugar.
- Regular exercise: Physical activity is essential for managing PCOS-related weight gain. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise per week. Include strength training exercises to build muscle, which can help boost metabolism.
- Stress management: High stress levels can exacerbate PCOS symptoms and make it harder to lose weight. Practice stress-reduction techniques such as yoga, meditation, deep breathing, or hobbies that help you relax.
- Adequate sleep: Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night, as poor sleep can disrupt hormone regulation and lead to weight gain.
- Medications: Your healthcare provider may prescribe medications to manage PCOS symptoms, including those related to weight. Common medications include birth control pills, metformin (for insulin resistance), and anti-androgen medications.
- Hormone therapy: Hormone therapy may be recommended to regulate menstrual cycles and reduce androgen levels, which can help with weight management.
- Weight loss support groups: Consider joining a support group or seeking counseling to help you stay motivated and accountable in your weight loss journey.
- Monitor progress: Keep a journal to track your diet, exercise, and any changes in weight and PCOS symptoms. This can help you and your healthcare provider adjust your treatment plan as needed.
Dietary Tips To Manage PCOS Related Weight Gain:
Kanikka Malhotra who is a Clinical Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator and Content Marketing Specialist said, “Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a condition that affects 5-7.5% of all women and is the number one cause of infertility. Women with PCOS often experience issues with hormonal imbalances, metabolism, and weight gain. Fortunately, several simple dietary changes can help control this weight.”
Here are some tips on how to manage PCOS-related weight gain shared by her:
- Eat the right food:The right food is essential for women with PCOS. It is recommended to eat moderate,not excessive, intakes of carbohydrates (approximately 50% of calories),and selectt complex, unrefined carbohydrates over refined carbohydrates. It is also important to include lean protein, healthy fats, and plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Avoid processed foods: Processed foods are high in calories, sugar, and unhealthy fats. They can cause inflammation and insulin resistance, which can worsen PCOS symptoms. It is best to avoid processed foods and opt for whole, nutrient-dense foods instead.
- Limit sugar intake: High sugar intake can cause insulin resistance, which is a common issue for women with PCOS. It is best to limit your sugar intake and opt for natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup.
- Incorporate physical activity: Physical activity is essential for managing PCOS-related weight gain. It can help improve insulin sensitivity, reduce inflammation, and promote weight loss. It is recommended to aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week.
- Consider Nutritional Supplements: Nutritional supplements such as inositol, vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, and carnitine can help improve insulin resistance, hormone balance, and reduce inflammation in women with PCOS. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen.
How Ayurveda Helps To Manage PCOS Related Weight Gain:
One of the main issues, women diagnosed with PCOS face is weight gain. Ayurveda, the traditional natural treatment method offers a lot of healing methods for managing PCOS-related weight gain successfully and organically.
Here are some of them shared by Dr. Vikas Verma, who is the Director of Shashvat Ayurveda:
According to Ayurveda, our human body is composed of the three basic energies doshas – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Usually, weight gain symptom is caused by the Kapha dosha which is associated with PCOS. Ayurveda recommends dietary and lifestyle adjustments that help balance these energies into harmony.
- Balanced Meals: Consuming unprocessed foods is a priority. Add different types of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and good fats. Also consume processed foods, fried, and high sugar content meals in limited quantities.
- Warm, Cooked Foods: Avoid raw and cold meals and go for hot and fully cooked meals. Lightly cooked soups, stews, and vegetables are more good in terms of digestion and also support metabolic balance.
- Spices and Herbs: You can include flavours of cumin, cinnamon, coriander, and turmeric in your food. These tastes will help in digestion and have strong anti-inflammatory effects
- Hydration: Sipping warm water all day helps in body cleansing and assists in metabolic processes.
- Regular Exercise: Maintaining a habit of regular exercise helps increase metabolism and supports weight management. Healthy activities like yoga, brisk walking, and swimming are all good options.
- Yoga and Meditation: Meditation and yoga help lower stress issues, which is essential for hormonal balance in PCOS.
- Adequate Sleep: Take restful sleep of 7- 9 hours daily because good sleep is better able to control hormonal changes.
Ayurvedic Herbs and Supplements
- Triphala: This blend of three fruits – Amla bibhitaki and haritaki – helps in managing weight and aids in digestion and detoxification.
- Guggul: This substance of specially known for metabolism-enhancing benefits which may help PCOS patients control their weight.
- Shatavari: Shatavari helps in balancing hormones and supports the reproductive system.
By approaching the root causes of the problem holistically, weight gain issues of PCOS can be managed. Making changes in lifestyle habits and food choices using particular herbs and apices helps in finding natural relief. PCOS management is a journey with consistency and patience as the two important keys to getting rid of this syndrome.
(This story has not been edited by Thepearl staff and is auto-generated from an ABP Live RSS Feed.)